For those who don’t know I love to bake in my down time, so this weekend I made my partner and I these deliciously buttery Shortbread Biscuits. It is super simple recipe to follow and is a delicious treat with a fresh cup of tea.
Deliciously Buttery Shortbread Biscuits
Creates roughly 12-16 biscuits (depending how big you cut them)
Time 30-40 minutes
- 250g salted butter – make sure it is softened, if you don’t have time to let it sit out, microwave in short bursts on low power. Be careful not to melt it!
- 100g icing sugar – add about 50g more if you like a sweeter biscuit.
- 300g-350g plain flour
- OPTIONAL: it’s probably not traditional but I do sometimes like to add a small amount of vanilla essence.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (fan forced).
- Line a slice tray with baking paper.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy, with a lighter colour. Add in icing sugar and continue to beat until mix is combined and light in colour.
- Add half of the flour and beat until mostly combined, then add the remaining. Your mixture should look quite soft.
- Place into lined slice tray and spread out with back of a spoon, pressing lightly into the tray until even. Depending on your preferences, pressing more firmly into the tray leads to a firmer biscuit.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges are starting to turn a very light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven, and with a knife quickly slice the biscuits into desired sizes, then poke with fork to create a patter on the top.
- Put tray back into the oven to cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Once finished baking, turn off your oven and leave the biscuits inside with the door ajar for at least 1 hour. After an hour, remove from the oven and place biscuits onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!
For a more crumbly texture add extra sugar/flour to your mix to make it more dough like.
If you want to cut the biscuits into shapes before baking, add more flour to increase stability of the biscuit so it doesn’t spread across your tray. Place cut shapes into the fridge on your baking tray for at least 30 minutes before cooking in the oven. They will better hold their shape during the cook.
If you do try this recipe let me know how you went!
For more recipes check out my recipe page full of tried and tested delicious dishes!